As a technology partner, Bluesign brought the topic of sustainability in the textile industry to ISPO Munich 21 years ago. Since then, visitors and exhibitors have been sensitized to the issue and educated at the Bluesign booth. This year, Bluesign will again be represented at the trade fair with a booth in Hall B2.326. At the booth and during lectures and panel discussions in the Future Lab and Sustainability Hub (Hall B2), Bluesign experts will provide up-to-date content about environmentally friendly, responsible and sustainable textile production.
If you look around the outdoor departments of sports stores, you'll notice that more and more garments have a hangtag with a Bluesign logo (bluesign APPROVED and bluesign PRODUCT). That's a positive trend. Why? Just take a closer look at these services of the Swiss company:
Pictures say more than 1,000 words - this video briefly and concisely explains how the company Bluesign works and supports textile manufacturers in the production of sustainable, environmentally friendly and harmless to health clothing.
Without the chemical industry, the production of functional clothing would be unthinkable. It is therefore all the more important that textiles - whether for outdoor sports or everyday use - are manufactured without substances that are harmful to people and nature. To this end, standards and limit values for chemicals must be defined and regularly reviewed. Bluesign has been a company of the SGS Group since 2008. SGS is the world's leading company in the areas of inspection, testing, verification and certification. The bluesign ACADEMY has defined the term sustainable chemistry and developed an advanced methodology for assessing the use of chemical substances in textile production behind the new bluesign TOOL.
Measuring and controlling environmental impacts is essential for setting sustainability goals. Establishing a sustainable textile supply chain is complicated and lengthy. Reliable data collection and verification is a difficult challenge. Through an annual report on the environmental impact of their suppliers, Bluesign tiered services provide companies with a baseline assessment of a brand's overall performance and a detailed analysis of suppliers.
How this works in detail is explained in this video:
Specialists from different disciplines work at bluesign. Whether textile engineers or Ph.D. students, they all have detailed know-how in their field. It is not only the scientific expertise that makes up the competence of the bluesign team. Practical experience is also an elementary component. This includes, above all, on-site inspections or the chemical evaluation of production processes.
Bluesign experts from the technical department support the ACADEMY services with valuable and updated expert knowledge. ACADEMY Services include the areas:
- Consultancy in All Fields of Sustainability
- Sustainability Management and Reporting
- Product Stewardship
- Product Carbon Footprint
- Tailor-made Trainings such as In-House Webinars
The services of the bluesign ACADEMY are aimed at brands as well as producers and suppliers. The training deepens the employees' sustainability knowledge and creates real added value through solution-oriented consulting.
With the bluesign CUBE service, the brands' product designers and CSR managers can query whether all suppliers manufacture their components sustainably without hazardous chemicals. This gives brands a clear overview of their supply chain. Bluesign partners thus have access to the latest technologies and can thus improve their competitiveness and track their textile production transparently and easily. The bluesign CUBE portal provides quick and up-to-date information on chemical management. The more brands that use this service, the greater the quantities of responsibly produced textiles and the more effectively negative impacts on the environment can be reduced.
All features of the bluesign CUBE portal are explained in this short video:
In more than 180 pages, Brooks Roberts-Islam, Senior Contributor at Forbes and Founder of Techstyler, a platform providing sustainability and and innovation intelligence for the fashion and textile industry, describes the company’s development. The book vividly recounts what has been achieved so far in terms of environmentally friendly and less harmful textile production. Likewise, the author names the sustainability goals that need to be pursued in the near and distant future. Extensive interviews with leading figures in the textile industry make the book an informative as well as inspiring read. Click here for the online flipping book "Made with Bluesign - Enabeling a better Future".
1.Panel discussion "Enabling a better Future - A Vision for Sustainability"
- When: Monday, 28. 11. 22 at 13:00
- Where: Hall B2, Main Stage
- Content: A panel of experts will discuss and provide information on critical developments, constraints, challenges and opportunities of the past 20 years of the present and the future.
- With Antje von Dewitz: CEO of Vaude, Eva Karlsson: CEO of Houdini, Kilian Hochrein: Director of Environmental Affairs at W.L. Gore & Associates, Kutay Saritosun: Director of Brand Services and Partnerships at Bluesign.
2. Keynote: Sustainable Chemistry Index - How the textile industry can benefit from it
- When: Wednesday, 30.11.2022 at 10.00 a.m.
- Where: Hall B2, Sustainability Hub
- Speaker: Fabian Walda and Daniel Waterkamp
- Content: In their presentation, Fabian and Daniel outline the major sustainability challenges facing the textile industry today. They explain how the sustainability performance of chemicals used in the industry can have a positive impact. Are raw materials responsibly sourced? Do manufacturing companies have due diligence and good corporate governance practices? What is the impact of the chemical product on downstream applications and consumer use? Multi-stakeholder collaboration is essential to drive change. The partnership between bluesign and SCTI plays an important role in this transformation. All these questions will be answered by the two bluesign Academy experts in their keynote.